Let me know when that tide's coming in won't you

Let me know when that tide's coming in won't you

Friday 14 April 2023

Wheatears and Wagtails in Norfolk

An Easter trip to Norfolk meant a very determined look for Spring migrants. There were lots I'd been looking forward to finding, and one on my list was the Wheatear. I'd looked a week or so earlier around my local area, but had not found any. We stopped in at Cley beach, as I'd often seen them in the fields here in previous years. Initially it wasn't looking promising, with only some Ruff, Meadow Pipits and a couple of Golden Plover of note. A bit more time spent scouring the ground and I noticed a female Wheatear hoping around. It was swiftly followed by a male. I was delighted to catch up with them again for the first time this year, and hope to see many more as we go through the breeding season.

Female Wheatear standing nice and proud.


The more colourful male.

Now, some birds you hope to find on your trip and others you just get very fortunate and stumble across. The Yellow Wagtail is a bird that I always hope that I come across during the year, but not one I ever go out expecting to find, unless there is some go info available on a particular bird. 

On this particular morning I was happy adding year ticks of Ringed Plover and Bar-tailed Godwit at a very quiet Salthouse, near Cley. Meadow Pipits and Linnets were keeping me company, and the odd Little Egret flew by, whilst the Oystercatchers made sure there was some sound in the air. I got back in my car very content, when I caught a glimpse of bird that I assumed was a Grey Wagtail. All I caught was some yellow as it hopped from the road to the fence line. As I focused properly I could see that it was in fact a Yellow Wagtail!! I stayed in the car and grabbed the camera. It was only a few feet away and I just let it do it's own thing while I snapped away. 
What a fabulous bird, and how lucky I was to be there at that time. The Early Birder does often catch the worm.

Yellow Wagtail









17 comments:

  1. Norfolk was a good bet Adam. Better than the Fylde for sure where I have seen not much except for a Wheatear or two plus a single Swallow. We are hoping for a good Saturday and even next week. Wish us all luck, and you too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never seen yellow wagtails. So gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Adam,
    What a beautiful series of photos, especially the yellow wagtail is really great.
    I enjoyed your photos.
    Greetings Irma

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm particularly impressed by the striking yellow wagtail, they visit us too. Overall, I really enjoyed looking at your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your birds and photos are beautiful. I just love the Yellow Wagtail. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are charming little birds! It’s amazing how barbed wire is no threat at all to t heir little feet.

    best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. You got some great shots of the Yellow Wagtail.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The yellow Wagtail sure stands out! These photos are beautiful. Some birds really blend in to the rocks they are on. Nice photos...going back to look at the Wagtails again!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Adam :=)
    The Wheatear is a lovely little bird, and I would have been delighted to see it, and call it a day, but then to see a Yellow Wagtail was such a stroke of luck, and you took beautiful photos of this bright yellow bird, and it made a memorable morning's birding experience.
    All the best.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yellow Wagtail is always a cause for celebration. It's a stunning bird. I visited the RSPB reserve in Titchwell, Norfolk several years ago and the birding was spectacular - as was the bookstore!

    ReplyDelete
  11. ...the Yellow Wagtail seemed to be happy to pose for you. Adam, have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome Yellow Wagtail photos ~ your photos look so professional

    Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the Yellow Wagtail..Bright and cheery..Great shots..

    ReplyDelete
  14. I did see my first grey wagtail two days ago. The yellow one is rarelly seen where I live so I will probably no see any.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments as much as I enjoy taking the pictures. Thank you for taking the time to comment on my post.