Let me know when that tide's coming in won't you

Let me know when that tide's coming in won't you

Thursday 20 April 2023

Hickling Broad

The weather forecast was good, but it turned out to be a bit gloomy on my visit to Hickling Broad over the Easter weekend. It seemed as though there wasn't a great deal around either as we followed the 3 mile path around the Norfolk Wildlife Trust reserve. The reedbeds were very quiet, and not much was on the water or flying overhead. Quite possibly things will hot up a bit in the coming weeks.

That said though, and on reflection, we did see and hear some very good birds. One of my warbler highlights of any year, is the return of the Sedge Warbler. A fantastic little bird that will sing and climb the sedge or reeds that it is in. This was my first seen of the year, so it was a nice to see it performing.

Sedge Warbler






Another unexpected find was this Egyptian Goose, that was stood alone in a field.

Initially when I saw this swan in flight I thought it could be a Whooper Swan, but having taken a few pictures and zoomed into it's bill, I am more convinced that it is in fact a Bewick's Swan. At the time it was very distant and difficult to tell. 

Bewick's Swan

There were lots of Chiffchaffs around and to hear. Not as nice as hearing a Bittern booming though. We heard one of these booming several times as we sat in the aptly named Bittern Hide. Unfortunately we didn't see it, but it was nice to sit and listen to it.

Chiffchaff


13 comments:

  1. That's a wonderful series of photos, Adam.
    I like the flying little swan very much.
    The first picture of the singing sedge warbler is my favourite.
    Greetings Irma

    ReplyDelete
  2. The warbler is singing aloud there

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello,
    The Sedge Warbler is lovely. Great flight capture of the swan. The Goose and Chiffcaff are pretty. Great photos. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post.
    Take care, have a great day and happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...I love how he captured the first one singing. I wanted to join in!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The swan in flight is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Singing a joyful morning song! Adorable! What's it all about, nature and all of its gifts!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Enjoyed all your photos. Have to say my favorite is the first image, the Sedge Warbler, looking like it’s singing it’s heart out. What a sweet photo! Thanks for sharing all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Swan is very graceful and beautiful. And it's fun to capture a little bird singing his heart out. Very cute photos!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow, I loved the name "Hickling Broad" so I had to check out where it is.

    Some great bird photos, none of which I am familiar with but they are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can almost hear the sedge warbler singing! Great series . Seeing (and/or hearing) that many different birds would be a very good day for me!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was in this area last week and heard lots of birdsong. I needed to have an expert like you on the walk to identify the different birds.

    ReplyDelete
  12. nice to see the Sedge Warbler and the Chiffchaff. I have nevear seen a Egyptian Goose, such a strange bird :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just saw a new-to-me migrator in my yard today. The goose is a dandy. Happy spring birding!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments as much as I enjoy taking the pictures. Thank you for taking the time to comment on my post.