Let me know when that tide's coming in won't you

Let me know when that tide's coming in won't you

Friday 15 July 2016

Staple Island - Part Two

I tried to divide my time between the different species on the island, but it was very difficult to pull myself away from the Puffins that were flying in at all angles.

The Kittiwake is my probably favourite gull, so it was nice to get up close to these birds around the rocks, but also to see them at their nests. Sadly, they're a 'red status' bird these days. So hopefully an abundance of sand eels this year will help their breeding and improve their numbers.

 A nice sea breeze made it easy for them to hang in the air.


On the nest with the future generation.

There were a few Rock Pipits on the island. This one did its best to try and avoid me.

A bird that I was only able to add to my life list just a few months ago, was in abundance on Staple and around all the Farne islands. The Shag is smaller than a Cormorant, and in my opinion a lot better looking. I love that starry green eye and the hair tuft. Another bird now on the red list, with only 10 breeding sites around the UK. It's a bird I was happy to get up close with, and by close, I do mean within a few feet.


A nice contrast of adult and juvenile. Note the eye is blue and not green on the youngster.

In more familiar territory.

13 comments:

  1. It let you get that close? Stunning bird, the green eyes are amazing. Is that bird drop art, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have the same experience with small perchers like thewarblers etc. Except for the last part, where you actually got great pictures of them! I haven't got that part down very well yet.

    The shag is definitely better looking than its cousin (I am not a huge fan of cormorants, although I do take a lot of pictures of them. Because they hold still!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Imagens maravilhosas!
    adorei todas!
    que olho verde bonito!
    um pássaro especial!
    tenha uma linda semana
    Zizi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, you found some little ones! I love seeing the comparisons, how much they change.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great set of posts - I was sure that your visit would be good. Every time I travel to the Uk I want to get to the Franes!

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful captures Adam. The Shag sure does have vivid eye colour!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous photos - as always!
    Thanks for sharing at http://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2016/07/world-war-ii-memorial-washington-dc.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, terrific photos. I have never seen a shag, it's quite an interesting looking bird.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Shag's eye color is such a rich green! Your photos are amazing. I am never quick or quiet enough to capture good photos of birds/

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never seen a close up of a shag before so I never saw those intense green eyes. I think your shag is different than what we call a shag in New Zealand.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello, AWESOME series. The Shag's eyes are cool, pretty color. Sorry, I am just catching up after being away. Thank you so much for linking up and sharing your post. Have a happy day and week ahead!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments as much as I enjoy taking the pictures. Thank you for taking the time to comment on my post.