Let me know when that tide's coming in won't you

Let me know when that tide's coming in won't you

Sunday 24 July 2016

Coquet Island

A trip out to Coquet Island with Puffin Cruises puffincruises to see Roseate Terns was the last item on my weekends agenda. (I can highly recommend the boat trip if you are in Amble, or indeed Northumberland.) A Tern that I had never seen before, and was desperate to add to my life list. Coquet holds 90% of the UK's nesting Roseate Tern population, so it was nailed on that I would get to see them. But before I share my pictures of them, I'll show you what I saw on my journey out to the island.

There were lots of other Terns, Guillemots and Puffins once again, all around. Eider ducks were here too. The sea was a bit choppy, but thankfully I had my sea legs on and stood for most of the trip.

A rare, lesser spotted me on the boat.

Coquet Island and it's lighthouse. The island is closed off to the public and is maintained by the RSPB. A boat cruise is the only way to get up close to it. All good news for the important populations of breeding birds here.

Grey Seals were a common sight from the boat and around the island. They have always been an exciting animal to see. These guys were really inquisitive and at times it felt like we shouldn't be there. Dozens of them popping up to see who we were and what we were doing. They put a smile on my face that's for sure.



Guillemot

One of the many Puffins over the boat.

Common Tern (I think) making off with a fish.


20 comments:

  1. All excellent finds Adam. Nicely captured. I love pelagics and those birds are stunners! I've only seen the ROTE once on a pelagic in Maine. What a wonderful day out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow....
    from your portrait to the puffin....a magical boat tour of the pelagic scenes/birds.

    Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent photos of the wildlife and just look at that blue sky.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fun to see that grey seal! he looked very friendly. I like to photograph lighthouses --they are important vestiges of the past

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds like a very interesting boat trip and of course the birds are fantastic! Great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like a wonderful place to visit!
    Thanks for sharing at http://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2016/07/bottoms-up.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful photos! The seals are so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful shots of island. Like the shots of seals.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous photos. The seal looks so surprised in the first picture, very cute. #AnimalTales

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so cool! I would love to spot puffins. The photo you took is incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's a good pic of you, there's a Jacque Cousteau vibe going on. You have a knack for catching colors in birds that most people wouldn't even notice. Sweet grey seal, those eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a treat to see a seal #AnimalTales

    ReplyDelete
  13. Seals have the cutest faces! I love your bird photos, too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Super selection from your pelagic around the island.

    ReplyDelete
  15. A tern, a duck, a precious seal popping its head out of the water, and a precious puffin...what a wonderful post. I adore the puffins, but this time I will have to say that sweet seal has to be my favorite picture. genie

    ReplyDelete
  16. These are fantastic scenes! The birds are great and the seal is just too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Water and birds....perfect nature adventure and love your photos Adam.....Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  18. Aw, love the seals and the tern with the fish is a fabulous shot. #AnimalTales

    ReplyDelete
  19. love the sighting of the lesser spotted Adam

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments as much as I enjoy taking the pictures. Thank you for taking the time to comment on my post.