Let me know when that tide's coming in won't you

Let me know when that tide's coming in won't you

Friday 14 August 2015

Back in the Spring

An evening on the moors around Derbyshire is always nice. Red Grouse bubble away and frequently show themselves. Raptors will often put in an appearance as they quarter for prey.
These pictures were taken one late evening in Spring. The sun had almost set and so there was not a great deal of light.
I could hear the grouse bubbling away, but it took me a while to locate one. I was sat in my car so as not to disturb them. Then one popped it's head up and gave itself away.

You can see the long grass was in need of some rain and warmth.

I got all of a fluster when I could see a large winged bird heading towards me and the car. It was a Short Eared Owl!! I've see these many times before, but there is something a little magical about seeing an owl. These birds are fantastic, and just awesome to watch as they float across the moors.
Almost dark by this point, hence the grainy shots, and it was almost past me before I could blink.


An early returning Willow Warbler, with the trees still in bud.

19 comments:

  1. Brilliant photos Adam. I totally agree about seeing the owl. I have only seen one once in the wild, and the sight of it is indelibly imprinted on my brain. It was a terrific moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too love Owls..We don't seem to have any around here..I have never photographed one..Great shots!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Adam, awesome birds and sightings! I love the Red Grouse and cool capture of the owl in flight. The warbler is a sweet bird. Great post. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. did you get that rain we finally did after 3 months and much loss

    ReplyDelete
  5. You really nailed the birds here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marvelous sighting of the Owl and great images

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic on the Red Grouse Adam, one that I cannot get.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You got great shots, even if the light was dimming.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love that grouse popping its head up! And isn't it interesting that we always get so excited about owls! I have seen less than five in my entire life! And no photos of any of them! :(

    ReplyDelete
  10. Moor land like that was one of my favourite places to walk / watch / loaf about in - we don't really have anything like it here (maybe in Tasmania). Nice to see some.

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are right about owls. I wish I had more magical sightings of my own to share, but I never see them.
    ~

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry, I'm in my Hootin' Anni Blogger Admin right now, but I still wanted to send along my thanks for sharing your wonderful link this weekend at I'd Rather B Birdin'. Have a glorious week ahead.

    That owl is so pretty....magnificent.
    All your photos are awesome. I don't think I've ever seen a grouse...of ANY kind. Lucky you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for reminding me what a Short-eared owl looks like. You know Adam I haven't seen one all year and they seem to have gone scarce in these parts in recent years, even as winter visitors.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I wish I could see a grouse (saw one only once in my lifetime) or an owl (never have seen one). Lucky you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Owls are magical! I haven't seen any for a long time, except the burrowing owls in Florida. They are very cute but like little stuffed toys, not the majestic ones that float ( as you so beautifully word it). Once years ago we saw sage grouse in their mating dance... (We were on a tour at a bird festival). Talk about magical!

    ReplyDelete
  16. love the first image of the Red Grouse. Nice photography :)

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments as much as I enjoy taking the pictures. Thank you for taking the time to comment on my post.