Let me know when that tide's coming in won't you

Let me know when that tide's coming in won't you

Sunday 8 January 2012

Stockport Dippers


A bird that I like to think of as a bit dumpy but very elegant, is the Dipper. Living close to the Goyt Valley in Stockport provides me with ample opportunity to see these wonderful little birds, and they never fail to intrigue me. Watching them fly kamikaze into the river in search of food is quite an amazing sight. Dippers can then hold their own in some very fast flowing water, holding their heads out of the water every now and again for breath. Probably the most well known characteristic though is the link with it’s name and it’s ability to dip or bob. This is something that a lot of river birds do, such as the Kingfisher and Grey Wagtail. No one is quite sure why they do this, (and I am sure there is a reason) it’s just something for us to enjoy.

In typical pose

You look that way, and I'll look this.....


Into the breach he goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy reading your comments as much as I enjoy taking the pictures. Thank you for taking the time to comment on my post.