Let me know when that tide's coming in won't you

Let me know when that tide's coming in won't you

Wednesday 25 January 2012

Looney Tunes


An early visit to Castleshaw Reservoir, Oldham, on Christmas Eve meant I managed to see a Great Northern Diver (also known as a Great Northern Loon) for only the second time. My first encounter was back in the spring of 2010 at Carsington Waters in Derbyshire. On that occasion there were both an adult and a juvenile, but sadly they stayed well out into the distance, and the use of the scope was crucial. This time, I was much luckier as the bird came to within 15 feet or so of the dam wall where I was standing in wait with the camera. The largest of our UK divers had been on the reservoir for a couple of weeks when I visited. Unfortunately the light was not that great, so the shots aren’t the best, but at least the rain held off while I was there, unlike the arctic wind which nearly cut me in two.

The Great Northern Diver

No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy reading your comments as much as I enjoy taking the pictures. Thank you for taking the time to comment on my post.