Let me know when that tide's coming in won't you

Let me know when that tide's coming in won't you

Tuesday 23 May 2023

Temminck's Stint - Thornwick Pool

A lovely weekend away on the East Yorkshire coast provided quite a few birding highlights, with most of these had at Bempton Cliffs. But news of a small wading bird just a short walk away at Thornwick Pool was very unexpected. A Temminck's Stint!!

I had been to the pool the previous day in search of a Wood Sandpiper and an earlier reported Red-backed Shrike. Neither were seen, so I wasn't too expectant when I was walking to the hide on this occasion, but just a few feet away there was the very small Stint in all it's glory in superb sunlight. My second of the year, but the first that didn't require a scope and wasn't obscured by long grass. I was so pleased to get some decent images. It's unlikely I'll get anything as good or clear again. To add icing to my cake, a hard to spot Lesser Whitethroat was singing outside the hide.

Temminck's Stint











4 comments:

  1. What a beautiful series of photos of this Temmincks Stint.
    Such a pity that you didn't see the Wood Sandpiper and the Red-backed Shrike, maybe next time it will work.
    Greetings Irma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hari OM
    OOohhh, I can feel the joy coming through in your images! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. So good to see sand piper hunting in the water

    ReplyDelete
  4. It really is all about being in the right place at the right time, but you have to make the effort to be there. Whenever I have visited Britain I have intended to visit Bempton Cliffs, but to my chagrin I have never made it. I console myself in saying that you can't do everything, and I have had splendid days in other wonderful locations, but it still nags at me a little that I will probably never see Bempton Cliffs now.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments as much as I enjoy taking the pictures. Thank you for taking the time to comment on my post.