Let me know when that tide's coming in won't you

Let me know when that tide's coming in won't you

Thursday 30 March 2023

Fortune Favours the Brave

I had a few days holiday to take, so timed it to coincide with the start of migration season. I ventured up into the moorlands, and one of my favourite places. What I hadn't banked on, was that it would be shrouded in cloud on this particular morning. Not ideal, when what I was looking for was likely to be on the other side of the valley. My plan was to pitch up, watch and listen and then seek out with my binoculars. There was no chance that that was going to happen as I couldn't even see the other side of the valley. There were a few clearings every now and again as the strong wind whipped the cloud past my face, but nothing that cleared to sunshine. 

I'd been there about half an hour and heard the song or call of a Ring Ouzel (my main target bird). It was on the far side of course, but I tracked it down with the binoculars through the fog to a rocky perch. Then I saw another. Only thing for it, was to be brave and head down the valley, cross the river via the unstable stepping stones and up the other side and see if I could locate them. I positioned myself in a dilapidated quarry building and waited. Twenty minutes or so later, Two popped up 100 yards in front of me, followed by two more. The best thing was that hiding as I was and the fog, they had no idea I was there, and so proceeded to come towards me and give me my own private show. I was privileged to watch and photograph these special birds for almost half an hour, and down to about 20 feet. Absolutely magical, and so pleased that they are back for another year.







As seen in the fog from my hideout, before they ventured closer.



22 comments:

  1. It's a beautiful bird. I have never seen it around here even it lives in Norway too in the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your patience and determination really paid off. Nice images despite the fog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done. Some very atmospheric shots with the fog-enhancing rather than detracting from the subject matter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great shots of a bird that can be very difficult to find.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello :=) Well done for finding the Ring Ouzel and getting these fine shots.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a great sighting! The Ring Ouzel are pretty birds, wonderful photos.
    Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ...you had a fabulous outing and this images are a great reward. I wish you many more special days.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You got great shots of these guys. Worth all the trouble getting to your hiding place.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The fog turned out to be a positive thing. It allowed you to get beautiful pics of the Ring Ousel. I have never seen this bird, so I am happy you shared your pics.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The fog gives the photos a dreamy look and I love that beautiful bird. Nice to have some time off to enjoy getting out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A wonderful way to spend a few days holiday. Lovely photos.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So exciting to see a new bird. What is a sweet fellow like a clergyman. And the foggy atmosphere was absolutely poetic Adam. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful photos of a bird that is very hard to find and very rare here.
    Your patience has been rewarded.
    Greetings Irma

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great work Adam. I think that is known as fieldcraft, a skill that is unknown to many who just want to chase other peoples birds. Fine pictures under the misty circumstances.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Courage rewarded ~ awesome photos of your 'target' birds ~ like the fog photos too ~

    Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great shots, you planned that just perfectly. Love the fog photos, they add a bit of mystery.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very nice photos of it! Not this one, but a black-throated thrush has been seen around here these days, but not by me.

    ReplyDelete
  18. On so many levels these captures are amazing. Nature at its finest, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. ring makes bird look pretty....
    thank you for sharing beautiful photos

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow!! Fortune favored the brave and patient! Thanks for sharing these beauties withi those of us who are neither. Wonderful bird, wonderful pictures.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments as much as I enjoy taking the pictures. Thank you for taking the time to comment on my post.