Let me know when that tide's coming in won't you

Let me know when that tide's coming in won't you

Thursday 17 November 2022

Great Northern Diver - Redesmere Cheshire

Last Sunday saw me leave before first light to carry out my monthly wetland bird survey for the British Trust for Ornithology at Redesemere in Cheshire. Usually at this time of year I am counting hundreds of geese, Mallards and Coots on this large body of water and the highlights are likely to be the returning Goldeneye or maybe a Kingfisher. This morning though had me hopping and a skipping a little more than usual. 

Not seen on my first scan of the lake, I started my counting and then moved east along the car park. The next look through the binoculars had me staring eye to eye with the instantly recognisable Great Northern Diver. Wow!!! Really not what I was expecting to see, but it was one of those joyous moments of self satisfaction when you find a good bird. I would usually make a special trip to see these birds each year, but here was one just 15 minutes from home.

The light at 7:40am was really not the best, but I ran to the car to grab the camera anyway and managed a few record shots. It soon disappeared from close view and spent time away at some distance. I've had some good birds here in recent years, where I found a female Smew and 3 White Fronted Geese and a Great White Egret stayed around last winter. I'm hoping for more like this and that this bird hangs around for a while.




3 comments:

  1. Beautiful shots of the Diver, it is another name for our Common Loon. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How exciting! You just never know what you'll see when you get out in nature. We've missed some of our usuals this Fall but had some neat sightings. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How lucky you were to see the Diver. The pics look great.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments as much as I enjoy taking the pictures. Thank you for taking the time to comment on my post.