Let me know when that tide's coming in won't you

Let me know when that tide's coming in won't you

Saturday 6 June 2020

Lunt Meadows Nature Reserve

A super early alarm set for last weekend, had me out in the car by 5am. In these times of social distancing it makes good sense to beat the dog walkers, joggers, and generally others. Not that this has ever been a problem for me in the past, as I always like to go out early when the Spring and Summer is here. I've been social distancing for many years now😄
It's a great reserve with a good mix of wetland habitat, reedbeds, scrapes and grassland. Next to the reserve there is a lot of farmland, so it attracts many different species. Plenty of waders in the form of Black-tailed Godwit, Little Ringed Plover and Ringed Plover.

There was a Corn Bunting singing from the power lines as I got out of the car. Not a bird I see very often, so this was a good start.

Corn Bunting


There were a few pairs of Avocet on the scrapes, with a couple of freshly hatched chicks being closely monitored.

Avocet

Probably one of the most numerous birds around the reserve was the Sedge Warbler. I had not seen one so far this year, so it was good to get it ticked and great to hear them singing again. Things I usually take for granted as the summer roles on, it was nice to just stand and watch these birds going for it full throttle.

Sedge Warbler





Lapwing

Little Egret

Shelduck

Shoveler


23 comments:

  1. Looks like a really good day of birding!

    be well... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,

    Beautiful collection of birds and photos. I have a few favorites, first the Sedge Warbler singing, the Avocet and Lapwing in flight. The Shelduck is a beauty! Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Enjoy your day, wishing you a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello. Wonderful serie of birds. Shelduck is one of my favorite bird. It is very rare in Finland. Great capture of avocets. Photos of Sedge warbler are fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, Adam! Lovely series of photos, especially the nesting avocets and the flying lapwing. Greetings from Sri Lanka!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I love seeing that Lapwing in flight! And the little Warbler is singing his heart out. I haven't had a problem with social distancing either. I go to trails that aren't as popular and see more that way! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those shelducks are so attractive! Love the warbler images and the lighting on those photos. Plus the birds in flight! (I too have been social distancing forever)
    You sharing this post with us at I'd Rather B Birdin this week is much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  7. At least your Avocets have young. Most of the local ones have done poorly due to the dry spring and low water levels. Their nest may have been predated or trampled by roving sheep crossing to nesting islands.

    It's good you found a Corn Bunting. They are very scarce around here now where they were once very numerous. Have a good week Adam and stick to those early starts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always admire photos that show birds in flight! Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  9. If I lived close by I would be happy to join you at 5:00 am, Adam, and enjoy the area without the crowds, and enjoy the birds as they start their day. As you rightly point out, dedicated birders have been practicing social distancing for years! But I am looking forward to the day when you can get something in your scope and not hesitate to call someone over to take a look. And on that note, if ever you find yourself in southern Ontario at this time of the year, I will be sure to find an Eastern Kingbird for you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. ...Adam, I love your capture of the Sedge Warbler singing his song, I wish that I could hear it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. getting up early, really paid off, these images are really beautiful!! the shelduck is such an interesting duck, i have never seen one before! the flight images are really stunning!! a great day and an awesome job!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful photos, Adam. You caught a few good songs from the singing birds.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Coming from Ken Schneider's blog, since you commented before me. Love the Shoveler's distinct colors:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. It looks like a very good day of birding.
    You have photographed the reed warbler perfectly, this is a difficult bird to photograph.
    Best regards Irma

    ReplyDelete
  15. We don't live all that far apart but you typically share birds I've never seen. I always enjoy seeing them!
    Thanks for linking up at https://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2020/06/48-years-with-this-guy.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful photos of beautiful birds. I love the sedge wabler. Greetings Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  17. wow, I would love to see those birds, But then I have ro go to Öland and that is almost 6h in my car. So, guess I have to wait until we are free from virus again. :( Love the Shelduck and Avocet.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very beautiful photographs! I especially like the one of the lapwing. I find it really hard to capture birds in flight, but you've done a marvellous job of it!
    Greetings from Sri Lanka!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful picture capture. You have successfully shot their picture well.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Always love seeing your birds and smiled at what you say about social distancing for years now!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow! That's a fantastic way to spend the weekend. With such pretty sightings it must have been a happy one.

    Hope you have a great birding week ahead Adam.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments as much as I enjoy taking the pictures. Thank you for taking the time to comment on my post.