Let me know when that tide's coming in won't you

Let me know when that tide's coming in won't you

Friday 13 March 2020

Cemlyn Bay - Anglesey

I spent a full day in North Wales last weekend, stopping at sites from Llanddulas all the way out to Holyhead and South Stack. I did a bit of sea watching first from the shoreline of Llanddulas, where I quickly picked out a pair of Red-breasted Merganser followed by hundreds of Common Scoter. A Great Northern Diver went by too before I moved on.
I headed to Cemlyn Bay where I had been once before and was impressed by the birds on show. This time was no different, with lots seen that I wasn't really expecting.

A Whimbrel was the first bird I stumbled across. I'd been tipped off that there was one over wintering here, but wasn't really expecting to find it. Thankfully I did, although it didn't hang around long before moving off.




Golden Plovers were also a nice surprise. Always a very obliging bird but usually at some distance. I kept mine from this one out on the rocks.

It was soon joined by other waders, like this Oystercatcher.




A flock of 10 Purple Sandpipers were a real bonus.


Here's 7 of them together.

It took me a few glances through the binoculars at these, as I initially passed them off as Golden Plover, but they were just too pale. These are in fact Grey Plover, with one showing off the nice black underwing to confirm my doubting mind.


A pair of Dunlin at bottom left an Oystercatcher on the right of picture.


A very nice looking Ringed Plover was one of a few around.




13 comments:

  1. Hello, great captures of the shorebirds. The Oystercatchers are one of my favorites. Love the cute Ringed Plover too. Great birds and photos. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Happy Saturday, enjoy your weekend! PS, thank you for the visit and comment on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm just not seeing Grey Plovers around here any more. I think they are in serious decline.

    I use XC Weather but have yet to find Windy. I quite like https://www.myweather2.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. The birds blend in nicely with their surroundings. I imagine they are hard to spot from a distance. Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You picked up a lot of wader when you were in wales and indeed it was lovely to see the Golden Plover. I hope you have a great week ahead and stay safe from this virus. Thanks for your comments..

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are beautiful shorebirds.
    You never see the whimbrel here.
    I love the oystercatcher, they do occur here.
    Best regards Irma

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful scenes Adam. I can almost hear the gentle surf & bird calls. The ringed plover looks like our semi-palmated plover.

    Thanks for coming over to I'd Rather B Birdin this weekend and linking up with us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. pretty shorebirds and beautiful images...the ringed plover is gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for joining us this week at https://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2020/03/check-out-wienermobile.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful images! Thank you for sharing! Have a grand week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Seeing your range of bords make me feel I really miss them. The dry summers we had made them dissapear from my area. Hopefully they will come back. Loved to see the Golden plovers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Incredible photography, Adam! Those shorebirds are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great article. I have bookmarked your website. Best regards Monica

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely shorebirds, It is always great to see different species together. And, as well, that’s helpful for someone like me who is still trying to learn to ID them! (I’ve got the oystercatcher down pat ;))....the others, I always hope there will be someone around who is as knowledgeable as you are. And I can ask for help! Thanks for the great pictures. That was a good day at the shore!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments as much as I enjoy taking the pictures. Thank you for taking the time to comment on my post.