Let me know when that tide's coming in won't you

Let me know when that tide's coming in won't you

Tuesday 24 June 2014

Red-necked Grebe

On Sunday morning I nipped over to Frodsham in Cheshire to try and catch up with a long staying Red-necked Grebe. I'd been meaning to get along here for a few weeks, but hadn't quite managed it. The bird had not been reported for a few days, so I was unsure if my journey would be a fruitful one.
After a long walk through head high reeds and nettles, I got to the area where it had been staying and saw a couple of other birders who kindly confirmed it was still here. I had a short wait for it to come to our side of the River Weaver and then another wait for the sun to appear. It was all very worthwhile though as I got to see this lovely bird in all  it's Summer plumage. Stunning.









And just for comparison, here it is alongside a Great Crested Grebe.

19 comments:

  1. HI these re wonderful shots and it certainly was helpful to see the 2 different Grebes together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great that the bird was still there. It's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such lovely birds. Good photo comparison of the grebes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. He is a handsome and and a rare find. I think I would have waited long hours to see him as well ... though I am not sure I would have climbed through head high nettle. That is one wicked plant. Great pictures and I am so glad you made the effort.

    Andrea @ From the Sol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pretty shots of the grebe! And I love the last shot of the two together, great capture. Have a happy week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Frodsham in Cheshire, you have such cool town names in the UK! And some pretty terrific birds too. Great shots of this handsome bird.

    ReplyDelete
  7. not seen this one before; lovely series Adam

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely clear shots of the Red-necked Grebe, on what appears to be a bright sunny morning. Thank you for your visit.:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. glad you threw in that comparison shot. such a pretty grebe he is!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It was worth the wait and the walk Adam. You got some really clear pictures of the grebe and of course it's brilliant to see it in the same frame as a Great Crested Brebe for size comparison.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh he is gorgeous. I love Grebes , even our (relatively ) plain ones. This one would be a joy to see. I saw one of ours carrying her babies on her back once. A birding highlight! I wonder if all grebes do that?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I've never heard of "Red-necked Grebe"; they are very colorful and lovely in your wonderful pictures♡♡♡

    Sincerely from Japan xoxo Miyako*

    ReplyDelete
  13. Terrific opportunity! And in breeding plumage! Very nice comparison shot with the Great Crested Grebe.

    Really nice photographs, Adam.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm a fan We do not see them that often in Fl

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice to see it in its bright summer plumage. Well done Adam.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wonderful series of images of beautiful bird.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments as much as I enjoy taking the pictures. Thank you for taking the time to comment on my post.