Let me know when that tide's coming in won't you

Let me know when that tide's coming in won't you

Friday 2 June 2023

Gannets - Bempton Cliffs

I'm sure there are other good places to view Gannets in the UK, but I've not yet visited them where you can get so close. The cliffs at Bempton allow you to get at eye level with them as they soar on the thermals, and when they land on the rocks you can look down on them. It's quite a unique feel. I've been to the Farne Islands quite a few times, but there are not many Gannets there, and they are usually above you when they are flying. Bempton has a more intimate feel. 

I hope this video works. I recorded a short video on my phone so that you could hear the sounds.


Northern Gannet 




This is a 3 year old immature adult bird. It will eventually become all white like the adult birds.



7 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    One of my faves to watch - and your shot of the 3-yr old is gorgeous! You may want to treat yourself to a visit up to Scotland and a trip out to Bass Rock - the largest breeding colony in the world for Northern Gannets. YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What great photos and video of the Jan van Gent.
    Picture 3 is my favourite.
    Greetings Irma

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great flight shots and vivid portraits. The video gave me some vertigo-- quite spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...fabulous images of this little intriguing bird.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my...looking down at them flying is amazing! I would feel dizzy if I was taking a video though. What a gorgeous close up too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoyed watching the video! It's amazing that you were able to get so close to them and capture such a vivid recording. Lovely pics too!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments as much as I enjoy taking the pictures. Thank you for taking the time to comment on my post.