Let me know when that tide's coming in won't you

Let me know when that tide's coming in won't you

Friday 26 May 2023

Puffins & Razorbills - Bempton Cliffs

The East coast of Yorkshire is a lovely place, and at this time of year its cliffs are jam packed with breeding sea birds. Puffins, Gannets, Guillemots, Razorbills, Kittiwakes and Fulmars fill the air, sea and land. The sight, sounds and smells are a joy to behold. I recommend a visit to anyone who can get across there at this time of year. I've been many times and it never fails to produce.

There were not too many Puffins around this year. Maybe avian flu has had an impact or the long term problem of food shortage is taking it's toll. Not being very big birds, it was a case of scanning for those orange feet and the famous bill. They just put a big smile on my face when I see them.

Puffin


Good numbers of Razorbills were lovely to see. Quite often when I see these birds they are floating a long way out at sea, or whizzing past at speed, so it was nice to see them at close quarters on the rocks.

Razorbill



This one made sure the Pigeon knew he wasn't happy with him flying past.



21 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    gorgeous shots! Looks like you had a grand day for it. YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are beautiful photos Adam.
    Picture two is my favourite.
    Greetings Irma

    ReplyDelete
  3. The sea birds look so unique and wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're right, Yorkshire is beautiful. I'm originally from Lancashire but now in New Zealand. Beautiful shots here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, awesome shots of the Puffin and Razzorbill. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ..#2 is amazing!!! Thanks Adam.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great shots, Adam! The second one is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Adam :=) I kept saying "WOW" every time I saw the next photo. Great shots of the Puffin and the Razzorbill. I really enjoyed looking at your captures.
    All the best

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Razzorbill is a wonderful looking bird and your shots are super.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful shots. I've never heard of Razorbills before. They have very unique markings.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree Adam. Bempton is a great day out for birders and photographers alike. You seemed to pick a good sunny day for your trip and came back with fine photos. It's good to see your shots of Razorbiolls, as you say they are often not close in.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hang on for a moment while I go to find a drool catcher! I will need it. Such a great series of pictures from a legendary location. The Razorbills up close like that are just eye popping. I have never actually seen a Razorbill out of the water. I kick myself again (my shins are black-and-blue) for not having made the trek to Bempton Cliffs while in the UK.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Interesting birds! Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The Razorbill name seems quite apt. Catching this bird in flight would be no easy task.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Puffin looks so cute.... I never seen it in nature...
    Thank you for sharing beautiful photos....

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great photos. Puffins are such striking birds.

    ReplyDelete
  17. To get to see Puffins would be a dream. My son and his family saw them when they traveled and sent me a stuffed toy! lol I love Puffins!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful photos. The razorbill is so unique! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I enjoyed your story about the Puffins. And of course your fantastisc captures.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments as much as I enjoy taking the pictures. Thank you for taking the time to comment on my post.