Let me know when that tide's coming in won't you

Let me know when that tide's coming in won't you

Sunday 28 September 2014

Wheatear

I've seen more Wheatears this year than any other. I'm not sure if this is down to me being more observant, in the right places at the right times or if their numbers are increasing here.
I love to see them arriving in late March and early April in all their fine Summer plumage. This is a clear symbol that Summer is on the way for me and an exciting time.
At this time of year the colouration is a little less exciting but they're always a joy to watch as they run along and perch on fence posts or atop a tree. It's sad to think they're leaving these shores now for about six months, but they will be back and looking better than ever.

This little guy sat nicely for me in the warm morning sunshine.

In typical pose.

22 comments:

  1. I think you nicely summed up my own feelings about Wheatears Adam. I'm seeing the last ones of 2014 about now so it will be a true harbinger of spring when they reappear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful shots of the Wheaters for OWT! Love them!

    Happy Day to you ^_^

    artmusedog and carol (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are pretty birds, great shots! Have a happy week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so love seeing birds from across the pond! Much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pretty little guys.
    You must be patient - it's not easy to consistently capture such great shots of our feathered friends.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful bird photos. That last one is amazing, the colors of the bird and background are so close, yet with the shallow depth of field, it looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Used to really like watching these in the mountains - were a real sign that the seasons had changed.

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  8. They're very attractive!!! I'm all for the concept that the population of this beauty is increasing!!! Can't have enough birds in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great photos of a beautiful bird.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hopefully there number is increasing; beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Interesting little birds that I'd love to spy one day:) They look like interesting characters:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cute bird, great shots! How nice that you got to say goodbye, before they are off.

    ReplyDelete
  13. great shots of these beautiful little birds

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely photos. I love wheatears, last year i had a female wheatear run alongside me for quite a while, while i was walking

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cute bird and I wish all the migrants safe travels.. This time of year is bittersweet for me... Thank you for linking in Adam....Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've really come to adore them, largely because of your wonderful photos!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments as much as I enjoy taking the pictures. Thank you for taking the time to comment on my post.