Let me know when that tide's coming in won't you

Let me know when that tide's coming in won't you

Sunday 14 September 2014

Red-backed Shrike

I've just come back from a long weekend in Norfolk, my favourite birding place. I went with my parents and had a brilliant time. I think it is only your parents that truly share your enjoyment and happiness in a way that is so special. The euphoria of a moment can last and last if someone is as happy for you as you are for yourself. This was the case just yesterday when I saw my first ever Red-backed Shrike. We had tried to find this bird the day before without any luck, but then news came through that it had returned in the evening. So I made my plans to leave before dawn and try and catch this little fella. I arrived at Blakeney Quay just after 6.30 and made the walk to where it had been seen. Tell tale signs of flattened grass where other birders had been stood told me I was in the right area. I waited and waited. At 8.15 it arrived. I was watching some Blue Tits flit around as there was sod all else going on and then I saw this pale bellied bird sat motionless in a bush. I hadn't seen it land but who cared. I got the bins on it and the joy was palpable. My back was aching and I was close to leaving the site but my patience paid off. What a bird!
Now I know these pictures are not great. The little swine seemed to be very sleepy and just kept on the inside of bushes even after switching bush. Then some flappy pigeons forced it right into the thicket of brambles, but at least I then got to see its red back.
Hopefully I'll see another one day and get some better pictures, but the hour I spent with the bird was memorable. Yet another lifer.

This is a juvenile






Look at that lovely rusty red back




5 comments:

  1. Great birds to see, excellent photos :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just wouldn't have your patience but I'm so glad you waited so that we can see all your efforts were worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on your Shrike sighting.. Sounds like you had a great time. Have a happy new week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have captured the birds so well ~ Beautiful! And so glad you still have your parents to travel with ~ value them as well ~ You are a treasure with your creative photography of nature for OWT!

    artmusedog and carol (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad your patience paid off and you saw and photographed this lovely bird.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments as much as I enjoy taking the pictures. Thank you for taking the time to comment on my post.