Let me know when that tide's coming in won't you

Let me know when that tide's coming in won't you

Friday 15 March 2024

Greenshank

One of my favourite waders (there are many) is the Greenshank. I just love it's crisp white and grey colouration. I don't see them that often, so that also adds to my enjoyment when I do get to see one. On an annual basis I tend to see them when they turn up locally in the Spring. At this time of year they are on passage and don't tend to stay on site very long before moving off again. 

The particular bird photographed here I have been lucky to find on it's wintering patch, meaning that I was able to visit it on a number of occasions. At low tide on the mud flats of the Norfolk coast this bird likes to wander up and down probing for food. I secreted myself behind some boats so as not to disturb it, and was able to spend a good amount of time observing. 

Greenshank



With an Oystercatcher for company

This time with a Redshank (right). The Greenshank didn't really tolerate this one.




5 comments:

  1. Lovely shots once again Adam. I wish my legs would carry me to a place like that.
    Take care,
    Mike.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing bird and photographs. My husband showed me a German made antique rifle he is trying to sell for someone, and we were wondering what the water birds were that were carved on the metal. Looks just like the Greenshank.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't think I have seen a greenshank. Looks like you enjoyed some sunshine whilst you were there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It really is beautiful and the photos have such nice contrast.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have seen some birds like these locally, but never knew the proper way to tell them apart among their own using the key word "shank". Thank you, Adam! Lovely share and photos. Be well!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments as much as I enjoy taking the pictures. Thank you for taking the time to comment on my post.