Let me know when that tide's coming in won't you

Let me know when that tide's coming in won't you

Saturday 23 March 2024

A Day of Year Ticks.

A cold crisp morning on the Norfolk coast and I was able to finally see and photograph a couple of birds that had eluded me so far this year. I'd heard several Cetti's Warblers on my wanderings but hadn't been able to physically see one, until this morning on the East Bank at Cley, where one decided to break cover and come out of it's protective reeds. It wasn't for long, so I had to be ready and capture the moment. I could now move this from the 'Heard only' list to 'Seen' 😃

Cetti's Warbler


As I ventured along the bank towards the sea, I was looking at the noisy Black-headed Gulls and noticed a slightly different version of one. On closer inspection, it was actually a Mediterranean Gull, and another first for the year for me. It even made it's call just to confirm it's identity. These are lovely gulls, and one's that I don't see that often, maybe one or two a year.

Med Gull



I love to see the Purple Sandpipers at Sheringham on the rocks, but despite a good half a dozen visits, they had still eluded me. Poor timing on my behalf, and their choice of where to dine had seen me draw blanks. But a pre 7am visit and high tide at the same time, meant that one was on it's trusty rocks and reduced my anxiety that I might have missed them until the winter. Super little birds and great fun to watch as they slip and slide around the rocks.

Purple Sandpiper




11 comments:

  1. Hello,
    Beautiful sightings. The warbler is lovely and the Purple Sandpipers are one of many favorites. Great post and photos. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful photos of delightful birds. Thank you for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great shots. I love that wee warbler.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful series of photos Adam.
    I have never seen the Cetti's warbler nor the Med gull, I don't think it occurs in the Netherlands either.
    Greetings Irma

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful photos. Cetti's Warbler is a very pretty bird.

    ReplyDelete
  6. great that you found your target birds and that you got such nice photos of them.
    best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute birds. All of them. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful day!! The Celti Warbler is so soft and sweet, the gray almost looks silver (guess at my age I'm partial to gray). Beautiful photos of all three. The Mediterranean Gull looks like he's giving you that special call in that first picture.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm grateful for the depth of thought in your articles. Join in on discussions about updates and patches for Aviator on our blog.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You never cease to amaze. All beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments as much as I enjoy taking the pictures. Thank you for taking the time to comment on my post.