Let me know when that tide's coming in won't you

Let me know when that tide's coming in won't you

Friday 9 February 2024

The Delights of the Derbyshire Dales

I spent a very cold frosty morning in Derbyshire, just a short drive from home, watching some really great birds. The forecast was for blue skies and sunshine, and for once it was correct. My first stop was up on the moors above Bakewell to see a Great Grey Shrike that had been wintering in the area. I got onto it without even getting out of the car, as it perched on a bush about 100 yards away. I was looking right into the sun, and it didn't move much, as I think it was just warming itself in the first sunlight of the day. I left it after about half an hour. A great start to the day.

Great Grey Shrike

I moved on to an area of woodland where I knew some Crossbills had been seen recently, and as luck would have it, there was a flock of about 10 right above my head in the trees where I parked my car. I've not been able to see these birds properly for a few years following a change to there habitat where I usually watch them, so it was great to catch up with them properly again.

 Female Crossbill


I moved onto the canal at Cromford, hoping for a possible Hawfinch, but had no joy. I was pleased though to be able to watch a pair of Dippers potentially nest-building under a bridge.

Dipper

The Dippers were joined by a Grey Wagtail on a log.








7 comments:

  1. These wild life birds are gems!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are great bird species to photograph.
    You were lucky Adam.
    Greetings Irma

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are amazing sightings, especially the Great Grey Shrike. Nice light falling on the Crossbill.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was a successful day for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Adam :=)
    You had a good morning both with the weather, and the great sightings. I enjoy watching Dippers and the Grey Wagtail's, but have never seen the other birds you photographed
    All the best
    Sonjia

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful variety of birds, from the Shrike, the Crossbill, the Dippers are a favorite and the like the pretty Wagtail. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, enjoy your day and the new week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice to see Adam, You photograph all the things I did in my younger days. Keep it up.
    Mike.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments as much as I enjoy taking the pictures. Thank you for taking the time to comment on my post.