Let me know when that tide's coming in won't you

Let me know when that tide's coming in won't you

Thursday 20 June 2019

Burton Mere RSPB

RSPB Burton Mere on the Wirral is such a great place for birds of all varieties and it seems to attract something different each time I'm there. I spent a good portion of a day there recently and saw some really great birds. Some of the highlights included a Little Stint and Curlew Sandpiper. These were viewable by scope only, but I had mine and was more than happy to tick these off the year list and watch from afar.
The whole reserve was alive, from tree tops to reed bed to muddy verges to water. It's such a great time of year. I'm already starting to think that it's nearly over and looking forward to April coming once again. I'm wishing my life away now, but blink and you can miss it. So I do try and make the most of this busy period.

This bird is one that is more often than not only ever heard, as it skulks through the undergrowth giving it's very loud and clear call. I was patient on this occasion and had time to wait it out for an actual sighting of this very active Cetti's Warbler. One of the best views I've had of it.

A Great White Egret, used to be very uncommon not so long ago, but is now around Burton regularly.

A lovely male Reed Bunting

A Reed Warbler, which was busy tending to a nest.



Common Whitethroat were very busy and vocal.



A real success story for Burton is that a pair of Spoonbill were nesting on site. Almost unthinkable that they would choose to nest here, but Cattle Egret and Great White Egret are just some of the species that have also made this area of the Dee Estuary their new home.





6 comments:

  1. Hello, beautiful birds and photos. My favorite is the Spoonbill. Great sighting. Thank so much for linking up and sharing your post. Happy Saturday, enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Spoonbill is a neat sighting! I don't see them very often in the wild and they are one of my favs. Love that little Whitethroat singing his heart out! Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pics, love seeing the spoonbill in flight! It's always interesting to see bird captures for other parts other areas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty shots!
    Thanks for joining this week's linkup at https://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2019/06/im-impressed.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely! Thank you for sharing! Have a great week!
    http://travelingbugwiththreeboys-kelleyn.blogspot.com/2019/06/roadtrip-2019.html

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments as much as I enjoy taking the pictures. Thank you for taking the time to comment on my post.