Let me know when that tide's coming in won't you

Let me know when that tide's coming in won't you

Thursday 17 September 2015

Turnstone

My trip to the Wirral included a stop off at West Kirby marine lake. I pulled up at the usual spot and parked. Just a short walk from the pavement are some rocks where waders like to congregate. There were plenty of Turnstone at one end and Common Redshank at the other. A little peep over the wall and I was able to get very close to these super little birds. I don't know why, but I have a particular soft spot for Turnstones. I spent a lot of time watching their behaviour in Norfolk, and I've got to say they fascinate me.
They don't scare easily, and if you keep quite still, they will come very close to you. I've even had them walking around my feet before. Lovely, busy little birds, and as the name suggests, they do flip and turn over the stones in search of food.


This chap was having an afternoon nap.

There was quite a variety of plumage's among the birds. Some still had a lot of their summer breeding plumage.






17 comments:

  1. Pretty shots of the Turnstone, I love the bright orange legs and feet. Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty. Love their coloring. Nice shots.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful images, Adam. I love the action shot in the third to last photo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great shots, a super series of this beautiful bird!
    I admire your photos !
    Greetings from Germany

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent photos.He fits right in with his environment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent photos.He fits right in with his environment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely fellow! I love how close you are able to make us feel to all the birds you share. Great photos!

    Thank you for joining us for Photo Friday again this week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Adam!:) Lovely sharp images of the Turnstone showing of his bright orange legs and the orange in his feathers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Adam, I am just stopping back to say thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely shots of the Turnstones .. very colorful with those gorgeous long orange legs! Have a lovely week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I see why you like them, Adam. And they're so perfectly named.
    ~

    ReplyDelete
  12. Smug and smart birds and equally smart images!

    ReplyDelete
  13. thank you for adding your link this week at I'd Rather B Birdin'

    My favorite image this week is the one with the two trunstones...one with the wings open!!! That one in particular is dazzling!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. They are beautiful birds and I bet they would be wonderful to watch. Great photos of them! In the fifth shot it almost looks like the one is about to pounce on the other and say "Gatcha!" :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. The shot in the middle looks like the bird is sneaking up and trying to scare the one in front. Funny!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The one with the raised wings is an amazing catch!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments as much as I enjoy taking the pictures. Thank you for taking the time to comment on my post.