Let me know when that tide's coming in won't you

Let me know when that tide's coming in won't you

Saturday 5 September 2015

Spotted Flycatcher

Unfortunately, it's that time of year again. Our summer migrants are starting to gather up their things and head back home. As sad a time as it is, to think that we won't see some of these birds for another six months or so, it actually becomes a very good time of year to see some in good numbers.
I took a leisurely Sunday walk around Elton reservoir last Sunday hoping for some stop off waders. No such luck, in fact it was very quiet indeed. Almost 3/4 of the way round and the best bird so far was a Little Grebe. A nice bird to see, but not really what I was hoping for. Then from the canal path, I scanned down towards some trees and a fence line where I could see some activity. Pale, white-ish front and doing that characteristic hopping and leaping into the air to catch, well, flies. I needed closer inspection, but this did have all the characteristics of a Spotted Flycatcher.
I checked my map, and there was a public footpath and a style to cross to get me closer, but the field held some rather long horned cattle. I braved it, but have never come so close (intentionally) to something that looked so dangerous. I moved briskly, and there it was, in all its glory. Maybe the last one I see until May next year. A stunning Spotted Flycatcher. Destination: Africa.

What a beauty!


Only three of these to negotiate along the path.

22 comments:

  1. Hello, your spotted flycatcher is a pretty bird. And I love the long horned cattle, it is handsome. Great photos. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice shot of the cattle - you did a wise thing getting down on his level. Nicer that way.
    Hope you'll come link up at http://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2015/08/strange-visitors-in-garden.html, which is this week's Wordless Wednesday (on Tuesday) photo linky party!

    ReplyDelete
  3. really dig the long hair cattle photo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the last bird pic..I was going to say that I never saw a bird with horns...but there's that owl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Adam,yes, imagine the Spotted Flycatcher arrives in Southern Africa during our summer months. So cool to see one in your part of the world. Have a great weekend, Jo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice of that Flycatcher to wait for you to show up and take those pics. Certainly worthwhile braving the cattle from my standpoint, safe here in my chair!
    ~

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great pictures of the fly catcher and the cattle!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the shot of the cattle! What a beautiful animal.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a pretty bird and a handsome bovine - What type of cattle?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh highland cattle-well negotiated but worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A great spot but I wouldn't want to get on the wrong side of those horns! I prefer bird watching in the winter months because the lack of leaves on the trees makes bird watching so much easier!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful birds and cattle! Those horns look fierce. I found your site through Wordless Wednesday (on Tuesday).

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yep, you don't want to mess with that big guy, tho he looks quite content and to happy to be bothered. But what a sweet reward you got for putting your life and limbs in possible danger. Summer never lasts long enough does it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those 2 shots of the Flycatch are really good. Wold not like to argue with that big fellow!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I know this is a kind of a sad time saying good-bye to some of my backyard birds...Love the bird and the cattle photos...Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sweet flycatchers. Only three? Does one scramble past rather quickly? Don't think I'd want to mess with them. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very formidable barriers! :-) But you got some great photos of the flycatcher! Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Somewhere in a box I have a photo taken on my 110 camera of a fly catcher that used to regularly land on our front porch, which was below my bedroom window. I sat for ages to get a slightly blurred image of the bird and was so proud of my efforts. These photos are so much better! #AnimalTales

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gorgeous bird and I love the cattle!

    ReplyDelete
  20. a beautiful image of the flycatcher. And the cattle too. :)

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments as much as I enjoy taking the pictures. Thank you for taking the time to comment on my post.