Let me know when that tide's coming in won't you

Let me know when that tide's coming in won't you

Thursday 21 April 2022

Red-breasted Goose Norfolk

An Easter weekend break at my parent's in Norfolk gave me an opportunity to top up my year list. It also gave me the chance to look for a rare goose that had been in the area around Cley and Blakeney for a few weeks. The Red-breasted Goose was associating with a flock of Brent Geese, and most likely had joined the wrong flock as it left it's wintering grounds. This was the first seen in Norfolk since 1988 and the first time I had seen one outside of a Wildfowl and Wetland Trust centre, where they help to captively breed this endangered bird. With only 40,000 of these birds estimated to be in the wild, these really are on the brink. Whatever this birds origin, it was a real pleasure to be able to see it and spend some time with it.

It wasn't an easy find. Blakeney is quite a vast area with long grass and vegetation. Add to that, multiple flocks of Brent Geese to scan through, it was down to my trusty side-kick Lisa to actually pick it out and make my day. We were able to follow the path in it's direction to get closer views. There was the river Glaven between us and it, and a good 50-100 yards. It continued to feed and walk towards us and gave me a great opportunity to get some shots that I didn't think I would ever get. What a special bird it is.

Red-breasted Goose



With a Brent Goose for company

A Little Egret joined the party too


5 comments:

  1. Oh, he's handsome. What a striking bird! I might have to try to paint one of those!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome goose photo ~ you always did have great photos ~ Great to find you again ~

    Wishing you laughter and love in your days,

    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The red breasted goose is amazing. I love the feather patterns - gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an outstanding, striking bird! I've never seen one of these. We have Canada geese here, and they can be a nuisance. I'd love to have a few of the red-breasted geese in lieu of the others!
    Thanks for sharing at https://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2022/04/the-concert.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. It has beautiful colors. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments as much as I enjoy taking the pictures. Thank you for taking the time to comment on my post.