Let me know when that tide's coming in won't you

Let me know when that tide's coming in won't you

Saturday 4 August 2018

Cuckoo

I was sitting in a hide at Druridge Pools in Northumberland scanning forlornly for a Glossy Ibis when out of the blue, flying low from left to right of the hide went a Cuckoo. The shock of it made me say the name out loud whilst pointing towards it. It landed on a fence post just yards from the hide. I managed one decent shot of it, but I was more than happy with the result. A bird that I heat most years but don't always get to see. This was by far my closest and best view of it. 
They are already back across the Sahara dessert for their summer holidays. Hopefully I will get to see one again next Spring. 


The Glossy Ibis had relocated and not yet been found. I hung around in the hide for a bit just seeing what I could see, when I spotted a Snipe well hunkered down. So tricky to spot from a distance, near on impossible without binoculars.


7 comments:

  1. Hello, these are both great birds. I have always loved the Snipes. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Happy Saturday, enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photo of the Cuckoo! The Snipe is well camouflaged - how lucky you spotted it
    Hope you are having a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cuckoos are impossible...you did great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for posting about this wonderful birds!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice finds and photos! Yes, those Snipe (Wilson's here) can blend in so well with the waterside vegetation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I find it amazing the migrations that some of these birds undertake .... Lovely find Adam...Michelle

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments as much as I enjoy taking the pictures. Thank you for taking the time to comment on my post.