Let me know when that tide's coming in won't you

Let me know when that tide's coming in won't you

Wednesday 14 September 2016

Spurn - Migration Festival

It has been a while since I've been out and about. School holidays and other commitments do get in the way some times, but I try to make the most of the time I have when I can get out with the binoculars and camera. Last weekend was one of those special days, when weather, company and birds all come together in one place to make it memorable.
A 4:30am start saw my friend Phil and I heading to Spurn on the East coast. Arriving just after 7am we found our first good bird within minutes. A Spotted Flycatcher, which was joined briefly by a Redstart in the hedge.
Overhead was a constant stream of hirundines and hundreds of Meadow Pipits. Warblers were in very good supply, with Reed, Willow, Whitethroat, and Sedge in various places.

Some good sea watching turned up a couple for the year list in Black Tern and Red-throated Diver.
A Mediterranean Gull in a field was nice to see and there were plenty of waders on the mud flats. One that got away though was a Wood Sandpiper that was taken by a Peregrine moments before I could get into the hide. With 70 different species seen in the day though, I couldn't really complain, but I did feel a bit gutted about that Wood Sand. :(

This Sedge Warbler was in hand after being ringed and soon after released.

A Small Tortoiseshell butterfly was one of many seen on the day.

Starlings were starting to gather on the power lines. A sure sign that Autumn is just around the corner.

A small party of Northern Wheatear were in this ploughed field at Kilnsea.

Willow Warbler

A Yellow Wagtail spent a lot of its preening in the sunshine.

19 comments:

  1. Nice butterfly photo, and lovely birds!
    And isn't it amazing how a yellow bird makes an ordinary fence special

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely images here as always.
    Thank you for linking up at http://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2016/09/los-viejos.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, pretty variety of birds and photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The birds are wonderful -- and of course I'd be thrilled to see even half of those species. The butterfly is amazing -- they almost never hold still for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such precious creatures! Excellent pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The starling is a cool bird!
    http://travelingbugwiththreeboys-kelleyn.blogspot.com/2016/09/camping-at-lake.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely birds and butterfly. I hope the birds will not eat that one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, what pretty little critters! I love all the birds that you share with us. Their colors are stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awww lovely creatures! #photofriday

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful photos . Nothing like nature photography is there ? I love it to !

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very nice sightings and I love the way the grass looks in the background of this last photo! Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Adam, great sighting and pretty birds. Wonderful photos. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Happy Saturday, enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. As much as birds are my thing I also love the surroundings

    ReplyDelete
  14. Glad you got some time to get the bird and butterfly photos... Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow...a fabulous array of some of UK's beauties!! You two got to see a lot of different birds. Awesome.

    Thanks for adding this to I'd Rather B Birdin's Linking Tool this week!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a lovely selection of photos for #AnimalTales

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments as much as I enjoy taking the pictures. Thank you for taking the time to comment on my post.