Let me know when that tide's coming in won't you

Let me know when that tide's coming in won't you

Thursday 22 January 2015

Super Cold, Super Birds

A super cold morning last Saturday saw me out just after first light. At -4 degrees, it meant I was scraping the car of ice and eating into my valuable birding time. I'm one of those people that when I've decided to go somewhere, I need to go there and then. Any later and I start to get fidgety.
I made it to my patch and it was icy cold. My six layers plus hat snood and gloves were doing a great job of keeping me from being too cold though. The best thing about the cold weather is that it brings plenty of birds out into the open to feed.
One particular field was alive with Redwings, Fieldfares and Mistle Thrush. It was a great sight to watch as they busily hopped along looking for breakfast.
Now, I've tried to get a decent image of a Fieldfare for a while and I have hopelessly failed. If it wasn't for the pesky branches on the shots below I'd have been over the moon. I was in the right place with the sun in the right place too. The bird was there, but so were the branches.
The challenge goes on. Let's hope it stays cold for a few weeks yet.



Now this would have been perfect if the Fieldfare had sat out in the open. A nice Goldfinch all the same.

24 comments:

  1. Delightful photos, albeit taken under challenging conditions. Great stuff. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful birds, I really love the pretty Goldfinch! Great shots! Thank you for linking up and sharing your post.. Have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic shots of these beautiful birds!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful birds! We had some fieldfares here before Christmas. I think they stayed later than normal because of the warm weather and the abundance of berries to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliant images Adam, I love the Fieldfare, fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the goldfinch ~ Excellent nature photography as always ~

    Happy Weekend to you,
    artmusedog and carol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous birds. I like your photos. I think the branches ground the composition. Hope you get your perfect photos next time.
    The View from the Top of the Ladder

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful birds in very nice light.
    Have a good Sunday.
    Best regards, Irma

    ReplyDelete
  9. beautiful light to make those birds glow. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think they are all amazing shots. Love the golden light!

    I can't use my WordPress ID with the settings. Teresa @ Eden Hills

    ReplyDelete
  11. you could not have picked a better backdrop for these beautiful images!! and yeah for no leaves!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great photos..Nice to see birds from other areas/countries..Happy Sunday..Our finches look a little different..

    ReplyDelete
  13. No problem here with the branches...they are GREAT shots! Love the golden light!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great photos of the birds. I would have loved to see them out in the open like that but I am sure I would not have managed the cold!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great photos. I admire your determination despite the weather.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think the branches add to the pics. Nice colourings

    ReplyDelete
  17. Perfect shots of such lovely birds.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wonderful images - you take such wonderful bird shots!
    Thanks for sharing at http://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2015/01/pretty-in-purples.html

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful images and a great Godfinch.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think the sticks across the Fieldfare should be there, it's really natural that way.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments as much as I enjoy taking the pictures. Thank you for taking the time to comment on my post.