Let me know when that tide's coming in won't you

Let me know when that tide's coming in won't you

Tuesday 19 June 2012

Our African neighbours

I've been following a pair of Common Redstart for a number of weeks now. From territory building to nest building. From incubating to feeding and fledging. They really are one of my favourite birds. Having said that, my list of "favourite birds" is up to about 20 now. Anyway, they are very colourful, have a great song and travel to the UK from North Africa, which in itself deserves to be on most peoples list of favourites.

 The male with a grub for the young.

The female. What a stunning orange tale?


The House Martin flies from sub Saharan Africa to these shores to raise a family too. Feeding on insects caught on the wing. You can see the very nice blue on the birds back here, while he surveys the site for a potential nest.

15 comments:

  1. Great shots, Adam! The orange tail on the female really pops! Love the martin photos, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that tail!! Great post. Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  3. holy cow! that tail is something! beautiful birds!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great photos of beautiful birds. Bird migration always intrigues me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very interesting photos and commentary. That redstart is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely birds and great photos. The colorful tail is pretty. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Redstarts are wonderful little birds to see Adam.. I managed to capture a couple of juveniles on film last year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful birds love the orange colors!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Adam,
    Great shots and the orange tail one is my favourite.Have a great day!

    Shantana

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great pictures you show. Wishing you a good day. Hanne Bente / hbt.finus.dk

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good House Martin shots Adam. Did you lean out of the window for those?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'd say your list of favourite birds is getting up there! So many lovely birds, it's very difficult to chose just one or two. :))

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nicve one Adam - you must email me with the nesting location if you dont mind, and of course if I havent missed the fledglings leaving.

    Nice post -

    For those readers that dont know, the Start in the name REDSTART means tail!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice pictures. I really like the female restart picture.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments as much as I enjoy taking the pictures. Thank you for taking the time to comment on my post.