Let me know when that tide's coming in won't you

Let me know when that tide's coming in won't you

Thursday 19 January 2012

The humble Tree Sparrow

Having waited so long to get any half decent shots of Tree Sparrows, I thought I would share some more with you. These were all from my time in Glazebury last weekend. This little chaps population has declined so much in recent years that it is on the RSPB red list. Sometimes referred to as Mutton Chops because of the black marking on the cheeks. Smaller than a House Sparrow and somewhat more nervous. It seems that the slightest movement of anything sends these birds to the nearest hedge or tree. To be fair to them, having witnessed Sparrowhawks going into the bushes for a kill, it's no surprise.
They may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I like them and the fact that they make it difficult for you to watch them close up only adds to the attraction for me.

Look at those chops



No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy reading your comments as much as I enjoy taking the pictures. Thank you for taking the time to comment on my post.